The route that joins the beautiful Gokyo Valley and its lakes with the Everest Base Camp cross through the Cho-la pass, at 5420 meters of altitude. The Cho-la is a demanding but affordable pass, which joins the valleys surrounded by peaks from which impressive glaciers hang. It is a spectacular itinerary and much more interesting than that of the Everest Base Camp.
18 days / 17 nights full trip in Nepal (minimum recommended)
15 days’ trek
Medium-hard. Cho-La pas is challenging
Highest altitude 5550m
Highest altitude overnight 5140m
Local mountain guide English speaking
Meals and overnight in lodges during the trek
Accommodation in hotel in Kathmandu
Transfers in private vehicle, shuttle and Lukla flights
A very interesting and spectacular option is the one that joins the Gokyo trek with the Everest Base Camp. That is, crossing the Cho-La pass at 5420 meters altitude between both routes, and having just a handful of a truly Himalayan landscape, with huge white summits around and seracks hanging from the mountains well near you. In addition, crossing the Cho-La already penetrates us into a slightly more demanding climbing, out of the well-traced paths in the main routes. This itinerary also allows for a fully circular route, where the landscape and the environment are different every day.
The Gokyo Valley is one of the most beautiful valleys in the entire Khumbu area, with its crystalline lakes of frosty and clear waters. While having the highest mountain in the world just in front of us from the summit of the “small” Kala Patthar is always impressive.
The Khumbu region is fully dominated by Sherpas, who arrived here five centuries ago from Tibet looking for a bit kinder area to survive and therefore does not present a cultural or ethnic diversity of other treks in Nepal. However, it is one of the areas where the Himalayas summits are most impressive, creating a feeling that you could reach their summit in the morning and return back at the coffee time.
The Cho-La trek is a step forward to the Base Camp trek or that of Gokyo for those who use to practice mountaineering, but who cannot (or do not want) to face the Sagarmatha 3 passes trek, which, along with the Cho-La, also crosses the Kongma-La and the Renjo-La. The route you have here it runs west-east direction, but it would also be possible to do it east-west, and of course, it could also be extended with one of the other two passes.
Arrive to Nepal*. Kathmandu (transfer to Ramechhap)
Flight to Lukla (2800m) ~30′. Trek to Monjo (2835m) ~5h
Trek to Namche (3420m) ~3h
Trek to Thame (3800m) and Khumjung (3780m) ~7h/8h
Trek to Dhole (4090m) ~5h
Trek to Machermo (4410m) ~2h/3h
Trek to Gokyo (4750m) ~4h
Climbing to Gokyo-Ri (5360m) ~4h. Trek to Dragnag (4700m) ~2h/3h
Trek to Dzongla (4830m) crossing Cho-La (5420m) ~6h/8h
Trek to Gorak Shep (5140m) ~4h. maybe climb to Kala Patthar (5550m) ~2h+~1h
Trek to Everest Base Camp and back to Gorak Shep ~6h
(To Kala Patthar (5550m) ~2h+1h) Trek to Dingboche (4410m) or Pheriche (4240m) ~5h
Trek to Tengboche (3860m) ~3h
Trek to Namche (3420m)or Jorsale (2740m) ~5h/6h
Trek to Lukla (2800m) ~5h
Flight to Kathmandu or Ramechhap ~30′. Transfer to Kathmandu
* This itinerary is designed with an arrival flight in Nepal in the morning in mind. In case the flight arrived in Kathmandu in the afternoon or evening, the schedule would be adapted.
FULL TRIP according program
PRICE INCLUDES · Welcome on arrival at the airport
· Kathmandu Airport International Terminal Transfers upon arrival and departure by private vehicle
· Transfer by private vehicle to Kathmandu airport or shuttle to Ramechhap airport for Lukla flights
· Accommodation in lodges/tea-houses and three meals a day during the trek according the itinerary description
· Local English-speaking Mountain Guide during the trek
· 1 guide assistant for groups over 8 pax
· 1 porter each 2 clients
· TIMS Trek permit card (Trekkers’ Information Management Systems)
· Sagarmatha National Park entrance fee
· Pasang Lhamu Permit
· All government taxes and VAT
· Wages, food and accommodation, expenses, and insurance for all staff
PRICE EXCLUDES · International flight from/to your origin point to/from Nepal
· Entry Nepal VISA (check information)
· Tips to staff
· Any service out of the trek
· Hot and cold drinks, phone calls, internet connection or any other personal expense
· Hot showers, battery charges or any other personal expense
· Medical and/or travel insurance. For most of our treks you must have a mountain accident insurance that works in Nepal until 5500 meters’ altitude and include helicopter rescue.
· In general, any concept not specified in this programme, as well as any need for personal assistance in other matters out of the programme
· No additional costs due to flight cancellations, weather conditions, road closures, etc.
* The indicated price is the price per person in US dollars for a group of 6 travelers in full format as described in the program. If you prefer, you can contract only the trek, from the pick-up at your accommodation to the return. Without services outside the trek. We can customize your trip with no problem. Contact us to request the dossier with detailed information and the complete price table and ask us any questions you may have.
Flights to Lukla now operate from Kathmandu (normally low season) or Ramechhap (high season). Ramechhap airport is 4/5 hours from Kathmandu and you must take a shuttle that leaves at 1:00 in the morning from Thamel. Then all that remains is to rest and hang out, even if it is in the hotel lobby, until the shuttle leaves.
Crossing mountain passes above 5000 meters are always subject to weather conditions that can change the stage from a long but gentle climb to a hard day on snow in bad weather. If the weather conditions become really adverse, it may be advisable not to cross it and wait for a day for the conditions to improve. It does not happen often (in fact, it has never happened to us) but we must be aware of this possible eventuality. For this reason, as well as in case of suffering from altitude sickness in some days, it can always be convenient to add a “safety” day, although it is not essential. In this case, the day at Everest Base Camp itself can be the day that we can skip, or the stage to Tengboche could be extended to Namche.
It is not necessary to take any specific material for this trek, although it is quite likely that you will have to hike on snow, and the conditions in which each one faces it are very different. While some have enough wearing trail-running shoes, others need boots and gaiters. Adapt this perspective to your own way of doing. Poles can give you confidence if you have to walk on snow, but they are not essential.
As a general rule, neither an ice axe nor crampons are considered necessary, although if the conditions have been extreme and out of the ordinary, we may find ourselves with some steps that are a little more compromised. Normally the guides carry an ice axe or crampons in case they are needed at some point, but in general they stay at the bottom of the backpack.
INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT SCHEDULE
Programs may have to be adapted according to the schedules of your flights to Nepal. The itineraries are designed taking into account that the international flight arrives at Kathmandu in the morning or noon. If you arrive to Nepal afternoon or later it would be better to have a margin day before starting your trek, although it is not essential.
DO YOU WANT TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR TRIP?
Related to the trek itinerary and Kathmandu and/or Pokhara staying we plan the “minimum days recommended” to have a comfortable and safe trip and trek. But always is a good idea to add some extra day during the trek (for rest or as safety extra day) or in your days in Kathmandu or Pokhara.
Like all our tours, the itinerary can be customized and adapted to the taste, needs and preferences of the traveller, especially when it comes to staying in Nepal outside the trek route.
You can opt for the full trip or just hiring the trek and travel on your own in Nepal.
EXPERIENCES TO NEPAL OUTSIDE THE PROGRAM
Whether for free days in Kathmandu or Pokhara, as if you want to add more days to your trip, we offer a number of options and extensions. With them you can add and complete activities and experiences on your trip. Some are already included in some program, but in general we prefer that you choose them on your own, if you are interested in any, depending on your tastes and way of traveling. Ask us for more information if you are interested.
WE ENJOY TALKING WITH YOU
Contact us to obtain the complete dossier of this itinerary, inquiry for all the information you need and ask us any questions you may have.